Belarus’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement regarding the gunshot injury of a Belarusian citizen. The ministry claims that on May 12, the man was shot by Polish law enforcement officers after they mistakenly identified him as a member of a criminal group.
“On May 12, 2026, a Belarusian citizen sustained a gunshot wound in Poland. According to the information received, Polish law enforcement officers mistakenly identified a group of Belarusians as members of a criminal group, which led to the use of firearms”, the ministry said.
According to the Belarusian side, an investigation into the incident has been launched in Poland.
“At the same time, we welcome the initiation of investigative actions by the Polish prosecutor’s office and the classification of the incident as an abuse of official authority. We expect an objective investigation, identification of those responsible and their accountability”, the statement said.
No details of the incident were provided.
The Foreign Ministry recommended that Belarusian citizens take risks into account when planning trips abroad.
“This incident raises serious doubts about the actual level of security declared by the Polish side. In this regard, the Foreign Ministry recommends that Belarusian citizens take such risks into account when planning foreign travel: as practice shows, it cannot be ruled out that a law-abiding citizen may be mistakenly identified as an offender and subjected to disproportionate use of force”, the ministry said.
Earlier, on May 18, the Interior Ministry reported that a 60-year-old man with gunshot wounds to the head and leg had been admitted to a hospital. It was claimed that he had sustained the injuries in Poland.