Permanent representatives of European Union member states to the European Council failed on Friday to reach agreement on the 20th package of sanctions against Russia, The Guardian reported. The package is intended to be adopted by the anniversary of the start of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on February 24. A meeting of EU foreign ministers is scheduled to take place in Brussels on Monday.
EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Kaja Kallas said she still hopes the restrictions can be agreed at that meeting.
“Next Monday we plan to adopt the 20th package of sanctions against Russia,” she said at a meeting of the so-called EU “quintet” of foreign ministers in Krakow.
Reuters sources believe that EU ambassadors may convene again over the weekend in an attempt to reach agreement on the package.
The most contentious issue concerns proposed bans on maritime services related to the transportation of Russian oil.
Lithuanian Foreign Minister Kęstutis Budrys has previously said that the package also includes a number of measures targeting Belarus.
